Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-01.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:02:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address 
                          Autoconfiguration in IPv6
	Author(s)	: T. Narten, R. Draves
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
Nodes use IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration to generate
addresses without the necessity of a DHCP server. Addresses are
formed by combining network prefixes with an interface identifier. On
interfaces that contain embedded IEEE Identifiers, the interface
identifier is typically derived from it. On other interface types,
the interface identifier is generated through other means, for
example, via random number generation. This document describes an
optional extension to IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration for
interfaces whose interface identifier is derived from an IEEE
identifier. Use of the extension causes nodes to generate global-
scope addresses from interface identifiers that change over time,
even in cases where the interface contains an embedded IEEE
identifier. Changing the interface identifier (and the global-scope
addresses generated from it) over time makes it more difficult for
eavesdroppers and other information collectors to identify when
different addresses used in different transactions actually
correspond to the same node.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.