Subject: first production IPv6 prefix allocated by ARIN to ESnet (2001:0400::/35)
From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
To: IPng List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:01:10 -0700

IPv6 community,

Good news! The first production IPv6 prefix has been assigned by ARIN to
ESnet (2001:0400::/35).

This is a milestone for IPv6. Those networks that had previously requested
sTLAs should now reapply to their respective registries (APNIC, ARIN and
RIPE-NCC) for them. I have already been getting requests from these
registries for validation that requestors qualify under the 6bone bootstrap
policy.

I would like to thank everyone involved over the last 2 1/2 years in the
development of the Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format and the
policies regarding their allocation/assignment. I've included a short
history and timeline of this effort below.

I would especially like to commend the registries, both for their efforts
to provide meaningful stewardship over the IPv6 address space, and for
quickly starting the allocation process after IAB/IANA/RIR agreements on
allocation policy were finalized. So many thanks to the APNIC, ARIN and
RIPE-NCC staff!

Regards,

Bob

===
Fall 1996 - Mike O'Dell 8+8 (aka GSE) proposal to replace Provider Based
Unicast Addressing for IPv6
Feb  1997 - Interim IPng WG meeting in Palo Alto to review 8+8 - some ideas
kept, some discarded
Apr  1997 - IPng WG meeting in Memphis - first idea of Aggregatable Unicast
Addressing formulated
May  1997 - Aggregatable Unicast Addressing draft and 6bone Test TLA draft
released
Oct  1997 - 6bone converts to Aggregatable Unicast Addressing under
3FFE::/16 Test TLA
Jan  1998 - discussions begin between IAB/IETF, IANA, ARIN, APNIC and
RIPE-NCC on policy to assign production TLAs
Jul  1998 - RFC 2374, An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format,
published as Proposed Standard
Aug  1998 - First requests for SubTLAs (sTLA) made to ARIN, APNIC and RIPE-NCC
Jul  1999 - Oslo IETF - Final policy on assigning sTLAs reached (July 14)
	<http://www.arin.net/ipv6/IPv6.txt>

Jul 20 1999 - First sTLA request (by ESnet) made under new policy submitted
to ARIN 
Jul 21 1999 - First sTLA request approved (for ESnet) by ARIN (July 21)
pending billing
Jul 31 1999 - First IPv6 production prefix (sTLA = 2001:0400::/35) assigned
(to ESnet)

-end
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------