Subject: Protocol Action: Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) for IPv6 to Proposed Standard
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 06:46:16 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Multicast Listener Discovery
(MLD) for IPv6' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-mld-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

This document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies the protocol used by an IPv6 router to dis-
cover the presence of multicast listeners (that is, nodes wishing to
receive multicast packets) on its directly attached links, and to
discover specifically which multicast addresses are of interest to
those neighboring nodes.  This protocol is referred to as Multicast
Listener Discovery or MLD.

MLD is derived from version 2 of IPv4's Internet Group Management
Protocol, IGMPv2.  One important difference to note is that MLD uses
ICMPv6 message types, rather than IGMP message types.

Working Group Summary

There was strong support in the WG for this document and no issues
were raised during the last call.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark. Multiple implementations already exist.

Note to RFC Editor:

The IESG requests the RFC Editor to remove section 13 (changes since
last draft) prior to publication.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------